Monday, February 20, 2006

MOM (Musings on Marta) ---- Call Tyrone


....you can always catch some interesting people while riding Marta's bus and rail transit system . From the baton-twirling dude in drag, to the screaming deaf preacher....alll the way down to the woman who needs "five 'mo dollas fo some similac fo my baby". A baby who should be at least 10 years old by now...so any visitors to Atlanta....do not fall for this bullshit.

Anyways, I'm riding Marta to work as usual....When I meet this guy who calls himself Tyrone....kinda heavy-set brotha....glasses....casually dressed...looks to be in his late 20's. We exhange the usual plesantries. He takes a seat next to me....asks me what school I attend

Me: Georgia State

Him: oh really?...Major?

Me: Journalism....African-American studies minor...

Him: oh ok....that's cool

Me: yeah..... I'm Kesha by the way....

Him: *shakes my hand* oh, like Keyshia Cole huh? You should've cheated?

....anywho, he's a junior at Atlanta Metro....I forget his major. He asks me about my black studies courses....asks me do we focus on black/american history, or do we go all the way back to the motherland....I say somewhat....right now, we're focusing on the political aspect....every issue in the black community exists with a historical background. Interstingly enough, we hop on the topic of black women....specifically the "darker" ones. Like myself. In a nutshell, this is what our 15 minute conversation entailed....:

Me: well hey, you saw the movie "Hustle & Flow" right? Hard out here for a pimp? Well in my case, its hard out here for a colored gal.

Him: lol...I feel you...I mean, dark sistas barely get to shine in anything.

Me: yeah, but speaking for myself, I've come to terms with it. As a people, and specifically as a sista....we're not gonna ever come up at this rate....the stigmatizm is always gonna be there. I mean, every male in my family prefers the yella sista over the dark one. The yella sista will always recieve the most attention...*shrug*....I mean, one day, it'll change, but not in my lifetime it wont. Besides, right now I'm just doing me....I don't have time to entertain ignorance anyways.

Him: So, what I wanna ask you is this....you ever experience that stereotype that dark sistas are gold-diggers?

Me: *sucks teeth* well not really. I was actually told that I was "too independent". Whatever that means. I mean, the men in my family...they either die early, divorce and remarry, or don't stick around altogether. It's almost expected, so you better get your shit together regardless. If you come up without males or positive role model support in your family, hell yeah you're gonna get some independence about yourself. When he leaves you can't be "oh boo hoo, all I know how to do is be a homemaker, I should've took my black ass to school, I'm nothing without him". Let's get real here. Now, you can grow up, and find you a nice guy or whatever, but you can't help how you were raised. I was always taught in that ideology, so oh well...love it or leave it. You know all the stereotypes....we're golddiggers, we're loud...we have too much attitude...whatever dude...

Him: exactly. lol .. you remember In Living Color.....Jamie Fox---

Me: exactly! You don't see no lite-skinned "ghetto" girls....look at Sha-naynay....exactly what I'm talking about...but whatever. In the past, I always had to go above and beyond to prove that yella sistas ain't no better than I am. Not no more.....I left that mentallity a long time ago bruh

Him: lol


......so thank you Mr. Tyrone. Like "you betta caalllll Tyy...rooooooooooonnnnne" lol. And as I've said, riding Marta, you never know who you'll meet

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter