Thursday, January 18, 2007

1.15.29 ....continuing the Dream...


...this passed Monday commemorates the 78th Anniversary of MLK's birth, as well as the first service without Mrs. Coretta Scott King. I admit, it was kinda weird watching the service on T.V. and not seeing Mrs. King introduce her children. Because my grandfather's family are close to the King family, I was made to go all the time. I should know King's whole life story by now, that's how much I went. Me and my two sister's were a part of the Georgia's Youth On Parade (GYOP) as majorettes in training, and we would attend the parade festivites. As a kid, I thought it was kinda neat for MLK to grow up in the same town as I did. My grandfather (a photographer) would take pictures of us with his 3D camera, so that after developing, It would look like Ebenezer (the old one) would be flying towards you.


This year, it was surprisingly hot for the winter (70 degrees), and though the parade have been lackluster for the longest, I went. You had people hustling for their own profit instead of commemorating the man on his birthday. And people used the nice weather to dress like it was Freaknik '96. Just shameful. The line to his house on Auburn Ave was crazy long, thankfully, but you still had people complaining. It's funny how when it's time to vote, or do something as productive as visiting the King center, you have people complaining. But let Young Joc come back in town, and they'll fly like a hell to Club 112, and wait in line with no complaints (no offense to Joc or anything). Anywho, here're more pics from the parade, MLK center, and MLK's house.























Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter