Wednesday, January 24, 2007

...Why do black women WANT to participate?

Are these models degrading themselves? When is it crossing the line? ?

[they said] :I read about how some (supposedly) black women complained about rap videos having only non-black or lightskinned (since when did that become non-black) women. Do you want your black ass in those nasty (so called, by some) degrading videos ? I mean really though is that something to complain about ? We should be happy. For several hundred years black women have been objectified (sexually) by non blacks. Then when things change we are pissed off. I don't feel the need to be equally represented in NEGATIVITY and DISRESPECT.It simply AMAZES me, when some Black women, light or dark, get upset that they don't get a chance to be represented in filth.I find it hypocritical to denounce the women of these videos and or the other hand you support the artists. I can't imagine why any self respecting, self loving woman would want to parade around in front of a camera or out in public for that matter, looking and acting like a slut. Granted there are some women who are just too stupid to realize that men who foam at the mouth at them are not into them or their minds, but their behinds. Woman and our young girls are being led to believe that in order to attract attention, they must get naked and act slutty. Carmen Elektra, and other Baywatch types have always been used to exploit the beauty of white women yet know ones points this out. Playboy...all these images appear readily on newsstands..yet the world says beautiful, sexy women..why are we the ones that say hoes, and what have you about our women?

[my opinion]:Should black women want to be in these videos? In the beginning, I don't think they were as degrading as they are today, so yes, I think black women had the desire to be represented as being beautifil in their own aesthetics and culture. I mean, I'm only 22, but I remember the Prince videos, and the Super Freak videos my older cousins used to watch. And all the women in them had the Eurocentric beauty look to them....no black women....no Afrocentric features at all (big lips, big booty, big breasts)...we even went as far as adding fake hair pieces to our heads, as "short hair" wasn't in back then. So yes, black women did have a desire to be represented IMO...then you have the flipside to it. Those "Baby Got Back" type videos came out, and there was not one black woman offended by this...at least not around my way (okay, maybe the butt pads were a tad bit over doing it, but the point is, BLACK women were seen as being beautiful for their butts and everything else. is)....we were like "FINALLY!"



...for example, the common prototype for the "most beautiful girl in the world" in the late 80's/early 90's


*on the soapbox*

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter